One Vanity, Styled Two Ways: Endless Bathroom Design Ideas to Steal
Tips from Evelyn Eschun and the Toronto Interior Design Scene
In a sea of similarity, Cuzco bathroom vanity is frequently spotlighted as a unique option, and now its versatility and star power is more evident than ever. In “Evelyn’s Double Take,” Toronto designer Evelyn Eshun’s regular feature in Canadian Home Trends magazine, she dreamed up two completely different bathroom designs with one common denominator: Cuzco, by Native Trails.
Over the years, Cuzco’s design, which is anchored by a matte black steel base, has evolved so that the freestanding vanity is now available in six different sizes and with either Carrara marble, hammered copper or brushed nickel insets (not to mention the variety of undermount, flushmount, and vessel sinks and countertops that can be used to customize it). Evelyn’s designs made use of the vanity in Carrara (which received an honorable mention for DPHA Furniture Product of the Year in 2015) and another in Brushed Nickel.
Have a look at her two designs and her tips for recreating them in your own home:
The Classic Elegance Bathroom
In this elegant design, Evelyn sourced the Carrara marble vanity and a Native Trails nickel sink. “Finishing the vanity with a Carrara marble countertop and a hammered nickel sink creates the perfect balance between contemporary and vintage styles,” she says.
Evelyn’s advice for creating a bathroom that puts an elegant spin on a contemporary space:
- The Hana drop in sink and simple square mirror sets a vintage tone.
- A Laminam porcelain slab with a Calcutta marble look creates the perfect backdrop, adding drama.
- The Venty faucet has subtle curves for a soft, feminine feeling, and an eight-inch spread brings added formality.
- Open storage under a sink gives an open look, perfect for small spaces.
- Enhance your décor with baskets that double as added storage.
- Add moisture-loving tropical plants to any interior to bring life to a room, and/or arrange a selection of handpicked wildflowers in vases for a humble décor accent.
The Modern Lodge Bathroom
In Evelyn’s next design, which she calls “a decidedly artisan-crafted look that is warm and inviting,” she sourced Native Trails’ Brushed Nickel vanity. “To create the more rustic, masculine look I focused on natural and textural elements,” she says. “I chose hammered nickel details with a honed, black granite countertop for the Cuzco vanity.”
Evelyn’s advice for achieving a rustic, masculine bathroom:
- The lightly polished solid granite counter is durable and simple, allowing the handcrafted concrete vessel sink to shine.
- Wood flooring as a wall treatment adds natural texture and brings instant warmth.
- The Paradox faucet contrasts against the other more textured and matte finishes in the space.
- When choosing your faucet, ensure that you can easily fit your hands underneath and that the water hits a spot which discourages over-splashing.
- Baskets in a natural finish bring a spa-like feeling to the area while providing an easy storage solution.
- Layering a wood mat over a terry towel allows water to be absorbed while creating an attractive border.
- Broad-leafed tropical plants add a handsome and sculptural look to any space.